Introduction to Descale a Kettle
To make the electric kettle enjoy a neat look longer, we recommend that you read the article. Here you will learn how to delicately and thoroughly remove layers of limescale, without the risk of harming the device and yourself. A complete guide on “how to descale a kettle”.
Table of Contents
How to avoid limescale build-up
The gray coating on the insides of the teapot is unavoidable. Scale is truly a headache for housewives. If you don’t clean them on regular interval, it appears again and again in the form of sediment, then – in the form of a layer.
It’s time to slow down the appearance of scale, so that you don’t have to Google on the Internet every week, how to clean the kettle from scale inside. Here are four effective ways.
- Installation of filters in the drain. The cleaning element will trap sediment, impurities, sand and neutralize odors – as the Breeze COMPACT-Lux water filter does. You can also pour and infuse the liquid in water-purifying jugs, which reduce the amount of heavy metals.
- Pour the remaining liquid into the kettle What remains in the container stagnates, loses its taste and gives sediment. It is necessary to pour the remaining water into another container.
- Easy cleaning and rinsing If you notice the appearance of limescale, you need to wipe the bottom of the appliance with a damp kitchen sponge. The thinnest plaque is easier to wash off than trying to clean a thick layer.
- Use bottled water Purified water reduces the build-up of evaporated substances.
Compliance with these recommendations will help keep the device in excellent condition for a long time.
What causes of scale
Why scale, because there are many useful microelements in the water. This includes magnesium and calcium. In the process of boiling, they turn into a precipitate and settle on the walls of the dishes in the form of gray dust.
Another reason is too much chlorine or iron in the running water. In this article, we’ll show you how to descale your kettle without any extra effort.
Suggested Read: Best kettle in India
Consequences of lime deposits
At first glance, it may seem that scale is not a significant problem. In fact, this is absolutely not the case. Dirty-looking sediment noticeably spoils perception and leads to disastrous consequences:
- A thick layer of scale turns into a dense insulator, which greatly reduces the heat transfer of heating parts in electrical appliances (electric kettles, coffee machines, boilers);
- Electricity consumption increases significantly in order to provide the required one hundred degrees for boiling;
- Overheating contributes to the wear of the walls of an electrical appliance of any model. Even very expensive;
- The heating coil does not transmit heat well to the heating relay. Overheating the kettle breaks down;
- Rust develops under the hardened sediment;
- Leads to a reduction in the warranty period of use;
- Harmful substances of the layers enter the body, and have an extremely negative effect on the functioning of the kidneys and bladder.
As you can see, ignoring the seemingly insignificant problem can result in deterioration of health and breakdown of an electrical appliance.
How to Clean Inside of Tea Kettle
The shops have a wide selection of cleaning products. They are expensive and not much effective. Vigorous and sparing. BUT! Here are some easy and proven methods on how to descale an electric kettle using simple household substances. So how to clean water boiler or tea kettle?
Removing Limescale in 7 Easy Method
- Descale a kettle with lemon acid
- How to clean kettle with vinegar
- Descale a kettle with soda
- How to descale a kettle with Citric acid and vinegar
- How to clean a tea kettle with baking soda
- Cleaning a kettle with peelings of vegetables and fruits
- How to clean electric kettle – Brine cleaning
1. Descale a kettle with lemon acid
Acid or lemon wedges have long been famous for their effective and economic effect. You can use it for cleaning an enameled kettle from scale, as well as plastic, and, of course, electric. Such as Hamilton Beach Electric Tea Kettle. If citric acid is not on hand, a quarter of lemon will replace it.
- For 1 liter of water, stir 1-2 tablespoons of acid or 1/4 lemon.
- Fill the kettle with water.
- Bring to a boil, let cool and pour out the contents.
- Rinse a couple of times.
The accumulated sediment will flake off and dissolve. The walls of the kettle will shine like new.
2. How to clean kettle with vinegar
Suitable for metal, plastic and glass electrical appliances. Including for Mueller Ultra Kettle. Vinegar (9%) or its essence will do for cleaning. Should be applied carefully. Especially for those who are sensitive to strong odors.
It is necessary to achieve an exemplary result.
- Dilute 100 ml of vinegar or 1-2 tablespoons of the essence in 1 liter of liquid. Add a drop of aromatic detergent if desired to counteract the pungent sour smell.
- Pour into a kettle and boil.
- Leave for an hour or until cool.
- If the precipitate does not peel off well, wipe off with a clean sponge.
- Rinse the container thoroughly and rinse 2-3 times.
This method works one hundred percent, but has a side effect. After boiling, the house will smell like vinegar.
To get rid of the stubborn plume, you will have to ventilate the room. I hope this gives you a solution to the question – how to clean a tea kettle?
3. Descale a kettle with soda
Soda works well with scale. True, it turns out a little expensive. And wasteful. But the result is excellent. The gas contains citric acid, which helps to cope with sediment. For cleaning, you can use “Coca-Cola“, “Sprite”, “Fanta“. Just everything you need:
- Open the bottle and wait until the gases disappear;
- Pour half into the kettle and boil;
- Rinse the container.
We recommend cleaning with great care on tin and enamel surfaces. After all, the dyes contained in carbonated drinks can eat into the inner surface of the dishes, leaving colored marks on the walls of the teapot.
For fun, you can check how it works. Those who have already done the soda cleaning, praise Sprite. It does not leave any marks on the walls.
4. How to clean an electric tea kettle with Citric acid and vinegar
It helps when the layers, even if they bite, do not disappear anywhere.
There are five steps worth doing.
- Stir 1 tablespoon of citric acid in liquid.
- Pour into an electrical appliance (for example Miroco stainless steel electric Kettle), boil, allow to cool.
- Pour out the contents, add clean water to the kettle and dilute half a glass of vinegar in it.
- Boil the contents, cool.
- Rinse the appliance 2-3 times to eliminate the pungent odor.
- Even if the deposits of deposits are not completely removed, the acidic consistency can loosen the scale. Try using a kitchen sponge to remove the build-up.
5. How to clean a tea kettle with baking soda
The cheapest option. It is also called army, because it can be used in the field. It will allow you to remove very old and multi-layer scale from any electrical appliance. The main component is soda ash.
It is thermonuclear, in a good sense of the word. It will help to clean even an enamel teapot from scale. Just do not forget wiping the sediment “dry”. The baking soda is scratching the walls of the appliance.
- Boil some water in the kettle → add 3 tsp. soda → stir to dissolve.
- Let stand for half an hour and pour out.
If no result, repeat. Or “strengthen” the solution (1 tbsp. L. Vinegar), adding to the consistency of soda.
Repeat cleaning: boil → cool → pour out → rinse (thoroughly). And again, to be sure to wash off the soda crystals on the walls of the device.
6. Cleaning with peelings of vegetables and fruits
Skins from apples, pears or washed potatoes are thrown into a kettle and boiled. Fruits are rich in natural acids that have an effect on softening deposits. Yes Yes. Try:
- Add fruit skins to the teapot;
- Fill with water 2/3;
- Leave the peel to cool for 1-2 hours;
- Clean off soft plaque with a sponge.
This method is suitable for cleaning kettles with a “closed” (hidden under the disc) heating element. If the spiral is in sight, it is better not to risk it, debris can ruin the relay.
7. How to clean electric kettle – Brine cleaning
The pickle from cucumbers or tomatoes contains a potent acid. It cleans from limescale. The sequence of our actions is standard:
- Fill in the brine;
- Bring to a boil;
- We wait until the substance cools down;
- Wash the device with a cloth, rinse it.
Suggested Read: Why kettle is not boiling water
How to clean a boiler (outside of the kettle from grease and carbon deposits)
For a kettle to shine like a copper dime or like the Dezin Electric Kettle, you only need three items. And then any carbon deposits in tandem with fat recede, as it never happened.
1. Soft sponge or microfiber cloth
Gently clean, do not scratch surfaces. It is good if the sponge has one side soft (it is easier to rub this to a shine), and the other is tougher – rough. Microfiber wipes are also great for removing grease or lime scale from outer surface of the kettle. In non-neglected cases, even without detergent.
2. Rubber gloves
Protect hands from chemicals. Cleaning takes time, so God protects those who are taken care of. The skin will remain soft and well-groomed only when taken care of.
3. Cleaning agent (Dishwashing liquid)
Gel removes the top layer of fat accumulations, gently removes and washes away dirt. The grease remover will actively cleanse old dirt, remove accumulated fumes and leave no streaks.
Chemical cleaners are divided into two types. Before use, you should read the instructions:
Obviously, all descaling options are good. Just don’t ignore this problem and do good to your kettle.
Conclusion: How to descale a kettle
We have mentioned 7 easy methods to descale a kettle at home. If you take good care and keep your kettle clean, it will serve you long. Also, it is hygienic to keep kitchen appliances neat and clean.
If you have any questions on descaling a kettle or cleaning an electric kettle, send me a message from Buy for Pantry Contact page.