How to descale Nespresso Citiz and Milk: Descaling your Nespresso Citiz and Milk espresso machine is an important part of the maintenance process that will help to keep it running optimally and producing the best espresso. Follow these steps to descale your machine efficiently.
How to descale Nespresso Citiz (Milk) in 4 simple steps
Step 1: Preparing the Nespresso Citiz for Descaling
- Turn off and unplug the machine
Before you plunge into the descaling process, it’s crucial to turn off your Nespresso Citiz and Milk Espresso Machine. It may sound like a no-brainer, but believe me, it’s easy to forget and pay the price later!
So, why should you turn off your Nespresso espresso machine before the descaling process? First, your safety matters. Descaling is done using a chemical solution (Nespresso descaling kit) that can corrode your machine’s heating element. Thus, if the machine is on, and you spill the solution on it, it can trigger a short circuit or electrocution.
- Empty the water tank
Nespresso capsules contain coffee grounds and oils that can accumulate inside the machine over time, leading to clogs or malfunctions. By emptying the capsules before descaling, you can help to ensure that the solution reaches all parts of the machine and removes any buildup.
- Remove the capsule container
You should remove the capsule container as it provides access to the internal parts where mineral buildup may occur. The container can also be cleaned separately to ensure it is free of any residue or debris. Removing the container also allows you to reach other parts of the machine that may require cleaning or descaling, and ensures that the descaling solution can flow smoothly through the machine.
Step 2: Mix Water and Descaling Solution
- Fill the water tank with 1/3 of a descaling solution and 2/3 of fresh water
- Place the tank back on the machine.
Fill the water tank with 500ml of fresh water and add one Nespresso descaling solution packet. This solution helps to remove mineral buildup inside the machine that can affect the taste and quality of your coffee. By adding the packet to the water tank, you ensure that the solution is evenly distributed throughout the machine during the descaling process.
Step 3: Start Descaling Cycle
- Place a container under the coffee outlet and start the descaling cycle
- When the descaling cycle is complete, remove the container with the solution
- After the first descaling cycle is complete, repeat the process once again for a second cycle.
Switch on the machine and wait till the light stop flashing. Now press both Lungo and Espresso buttons together for 5 seconds, and both buttons will start blinking. Now press the Lungo button to start the descaling cycle.
Step 4: Rinse and Clean
- Fill the water tank with fresh water
- Activate the rinse cycle
- When the rinse cycle is complete, empty the water tank
- Wipe the machine with a damp cloth
- Reinsert the capsule container
- Plug the machine back in and switch it on
Fill the tank with fresh water and repeat the descaling step (press the Lungo button), don’t forget to put a container under the coffee spout to collect the water that will be dispensed.
Repeat the process twice to clean the machine completely. Now press the Espresso and Lungo button together for 5 seconds to stop the descaling cycle.
Conclusion: How to descale Nespresso Citiz (and Milk)
Descaling your espresso machine is a simple and quick process that can help ensure that your coffee always tastes great and that your machine functions smoothly.
With these step-by-step instructions, you can easily maintain the performance of your machine and enjoy the best cup of coffee possible every time. So take the time to descale your machine regularly and enjoy delicious coffee with every sip!
FAQs: Descaling Nespresso Citiz and Milk
1. Why do I need to descale my Nespresso Citiz and Milk Espresso Machine?
Descaling is important because it removes mineral buildup in the machine that can affect the taste and quality of your espresso. Over time, mineral deposits can clog the machine’s pipes and reduce its overall performance.
2. How often should I descale my Nespresso Citiz and Milk Espresso Machine?
Nespresso recommends descaling your machine every three months. However, the frequency of descaling can vary depending on the hardness of your water and the frequency of use.
3. What materials do I need to descale my Nespresso Citiz and Milk Espresso Machine?
You will need a descaling solution, a container with a capacity of at least 1 liter, and a washcloth or sponge.
4. What descaling solution should I use for my Nespresso Citiz and Milk Espresso Machine?
Nespresso offers a specific descaling kit for their machines which can be purchased through their website.
5. Can I use vinegar to descale my Nespresso Citiz and Milk Espresso Machine?
No. Nespresso does not recommend using vinegar as it can damage the components of the machine.
6. How do I begin the descaling process?
Start by removing any coffee pods or capsules and emptying the drip tray and water tank. Then, fill the water tank with the descaling solution and mix with water according to the package instructions.
7. How do I start the descaling cycle on my Nespresso Citiz and Milk Espresso Machine?
Place a container under the coffee outlet and milk frother. Press and hold the two buttons simultaneously for five seconds until the lights start flashing. The descaling process will begin automatically.
8. How long does the descaling process take?
The descaling process takes around 15-20 minutes to complete.
9. What do I do after the descaling process is complete?
After the descaling process is complete, rinse the water tank and refill it with clean water. Run two cycles of water through the machine to rinse it thoroughly.
10. Can I use my Nespresso Citiz and Milk Espresso Machine right after descaling?
Yes, once you have rinsed the machine thoroughly, it is safe to use.
11. Does descaling affect the warranty of my Nespresso Citiz and Milk Espresso Machine?
Descaling your machine does not affect the warranty as long as it is done using the Nespresso recommended descaling solution.
In case if you are using Nespresso Pixie, here is the descaling guide.