Rice cooker vs slow cooker : Difference between rice cooker and slow cooker lies in the speed of food preparation. Their way of operation is totally different.
Rice cooker is to boil food grains. On the other hand slow cookers are supposed to cook slowly and evenly. It spreads heat evenly and you can cook with your desired temperature.
Rice cookers also can cook some veggies, boil egg and potato. Some of the rice cooker has steaming option also.
Kitchen appliances have evolved with time and technology. A modern day slow cooker is most of the time multi-cooker. You can cook number of foods in an electric pressure cooker / slow cooker. Both rice cooker and slow cooker has their own pros and cons. You need to decide considering your requirement.
Pros and Cons of slow cookers
Advantage of Slow Cookers
Slow cookers are tension free cooking appliances. Push a button and forget it. Mix all your ingredients matching the recipe and put it in the slow cooker. Switch on the slow cooker, set delay timer (up to 24 hours) you will get warm ready to eat food at the desired time. Most of the slow cookers are capable to cook various types of food.
Disadvantage of Slow Cookers
If we talk about cons of slow cookers then it lies in the name itself, they cook slowly. But if you are cooking meat, obviously it is going to take longer than cooking rice. In today’s market you can find slow cookers up to 70 % faster than traditional cooking process. So slow cookers are no longer slow cooking kitchen appliance.
Pros and Cons of Rice cookers
Advantages of a Rice cooker
Rice cookers are not like the supersonics but they are fast, you can say super quick. As most of the operation of a rice cooker performs, involves boiling, it is easy for a rice cooker to cook quickly.
Apart from cooking rice, you can steam fish, vegetables, make soup or stew also. We have a detailed guide on best rice cookers that will help you deciding about rice cooker.
Disadvantages of a Rice cooker
Disadvantage of a rice cooker is, it is not capable of multi-cooking like a slow cooker. You can only cook three to four types of food in a rice cooker. Do not keep your rice in keep warm mode for a long time. As cooked rice are not supposed to have water left in it, possibility of getting dried or sticking on the base is high.
Rice cooker vs slow cooker – What should you buy?
As I have mentioned earlier, they are different in characteristics. Both were invented to perform different tasks. Both rice cooker and slow cooker are necessary for a kitchen. So I will not say you don’t need rice cooker or don’t buy slow cooker
You can choose either one of them or both of them. Because you know your food habit and what type of food you wish to have. I have the guide for choosing best rice cooker for every family size.
Today I have discussed difference between rice cooker and slow cooker. I will assist you to choose best electric pressure cooker cum slow cooker.
Rice Cooker and Slow Cooker In One
Many people are turning to the new “slow cooker”. These pots use different technologies that save both effort and time in cooking. Especially “Electric pressure cooker” that is suitable for the life of the new generation. Because it can cook a variety of food without using a gas stove.
You just need a power outlet to cook food anywhere. You can also set a timer and choose a mode for cooking more types of food. You can cook difficult dishes easier and faster.
However, since there are different types of instant pot / slow cookers and are made from different materials, people gets confused while buying. Today, at Buy for Pantry I would like to make it easier for everyone to know How to choose a slow cooker. Along with the top 10 quality slow cookers so you can choose the best slow cooker for your need and usage.
How to choose a slow cooker (Electric pressure cooker vs Slow cooker)
There are different types of electric pressure cooker / slow cookers to choose from. Each of which has both advantages and disadvantages different from one another. You should also examine the materials used for production to choose a slow cooker that suits our needs the most.
Choose from the type of slow cookers
Slow cookers are divided into several types depending on their use and heat source, such as gas stoves, electric appliances or microwaves. So let’s take a look at how each one has its pros and cons. And what kind of slow cooker is suitable for you.
Electric slow cooker / electric pressure cooker
The electric slow cooker has the advantage of being able to quickly heat or soften food through the use of electricity. This type of casserole does not require gas. Therefore can be used even in motel rooms without a kitchen. Ideal for modern housewives who want convenience and speed in cooking.
You can cook anywhere; you just need a power outlet. Electric slow cooker has option to adjust temperature. Some brands also have food and timer functions. You can also choose a cooking mode. You should use similar power outlet as the slow cooker manual suggests.
Slow cooker for every stove
Cordless slow cooker comes in two types: a pot for cooking with a conventional gas stove. It works using pressure from heat to stew food.
The cooking method is to put uncooked food in a stainless steel pot inside and set fire or on a gas stove or induction. Boil food for a while. Then put the pot into the machine. The machine will use the existing heat to stew the food until it is cooked from retained heat.
We can carry this pot anywhere. It also retains heat for at least 5 hours. The food remains fresh, not cold. And maintain the nutritional value for a long time while helping to save gas.
Check the material of the slow cooker
Slow cookers are made from Terracotta, Ceramic and Stainless steel. The clay pots are fragrant and retain heat as well. But it has a high price, fragile and heavy. They are not very popular. But if you can maintain them, it is a good choice for healthy food. I recommend choosing a ceramic or stainless slow cooker instead.
Ceramic slow cooker
Ceramic slow cooker: A ceramic slow cooker is more like clay made slow cooker. It gets hot quickly. It retains heat very well.
You can clean ceramic slow cookers easily because the food will not stick to the pan. It also has bright colors and makes the food look even more appetizing. The ceramic casserole has a disadvantage: it is fragile and easily scratched. Not resistant to scratches, heavy loads, loud noises when impacted. It also has a rather high price as well.
Stainless steel instant pot / slow cooker
Slow cookers made of stainless steel are resistant to both acids and alkalis.
Stainless steel slow cookers are sturdy and do not get damaged easily. They got relatively longer service life.
Stainless steel is known for quick heating. But it rarely retains heat. Stainless steel pots are suitable for people who use it frequently. It is best for you if you cook food in it everyday and want it to serve you long.
Stainless steel slow cookers are maintenance free utensils. You do not have to care much for it.
Modern slow cookers come with layered inner and outer shell. It helps in heat retaining. It saves energy.
Choose the capacity of the pressure cooker to suit your usage.
If you are living with a large family, you can choose cooking pot more than 5 liters capacity.
Anyone who stays alone or with a small family, a 2-liter pot is enough for all your needs.
However, space to store the pot after use is important when choosing a pot size. Because larger pots require a lot of storage space, larger pots weigh more than smaller ones, making them difficult to clean. Especially if the sink is small.
Suggested Read : Electric Vs Stovetop Pressure Cooker
Top 10 slow cooker / electric pressure cooker
- Instant Pot Duo Nova Pressure Cooker
- Crock-pot Pot Express Crock Programmable Slow Cooker
- Hamilton Beach Programmable Slow Cooker
- MOOSOO Electric Pressure Cooker with Digital Touchscreen
- Breville BPR700BSS Fast Slow Pro Slow Cooker
- Ninja Foodi electric pressure cooker / Slow Cooker
- BLACK+DECKER 7-Quart Digital Slow Cooker (SCD7007SSD)
- Elite Gourmet Stainless Steel Slow Cooker
- NUWAVE NUTRI-POT 13-Quart DIGITAL PRESSURE COOKER with Sure-Lock Safety System
- Magic Mill 8.5 Quart Slow Cooker Crock Pot
It is easier to choose a cooker if you know how to select different types of pressure cooker or slow cooker. You can go for both made of ceramic or stainless steel. Let’s see the top 10 electric pressure cookers that we can buy for our kitchen.
1. Instant Pot Duo Nova Pressure Cooker, 6 Qt
Successor of America’s best selling Instant pot duo series, Duo Nova has received much appreciation from users. If you are a beginners in the kitchen, a student or a bachelor cooking yourself, Duo Nova is the solution.
- The 7 in 1 slow cooker has 7 appliances combined in one. You can use it as a rice cooker, slow cooker, yogurt maker, saute pan, food warmer, steamer or a pressure cooker.
- It has 3, 6, 8 and 10 quart size. Choose according to your need. But why should you choose Duo Nova? It is not only a multicooker, it can cooker 70% faster.
- I said this best rated electric pressure cookers are beginner friendly, but why so? It has a sophisticated micro-processor to help you monitor temperature, time, heat and of course adjust pressure. The smart lid get auto sealed. You can release steam by just pushing a button.
- But what if you don’t know how to cook? Don’t worry the free Android and iOS aap for the slow cooker has 1000+ recipes to help you. Armed with more than 10 safety features and a led light to indicate cooking process.
- The slow cooker has inbuilt 13 adaptive program that you can customize to make it remember your cooking habit.
- This electric pressure cooker is made of 304 food grade stainless steel.
It is dishwasher safe, so cleaning is just a breeze.
|Materials used for production||Stainless Steel|
|Size||13.39 x 12.2 x 12.48 inches|
2. Crock-pot Pot Express Crock Programmable Slow Cooker / crock pot with adjustable temperature control
Now cook on your own pressure with manual pressure setting.
- Set the pressure as you need it for the recipe. You can cook to serve 10 people at a time with the 8 quart electric pressure cooker.
- Elegant design of the Crock-pot is going to elevate your kitchen’s look. Just push the button and make soups, chicken, steam your food or boil. Make yogurt, use the keep warm option and what not!
- The delay timer is a good option to set timer for cooking.
- On top of the cooker you have a steam release dial to release steam safely.
- Go through the recipe book and make tasty foods without worry about cleaning the pressure cooker. It is dishwasher safe.
- A steaming rack and a serving spoon come along with the slow cooker.
|Materials used for production||Stainless steel|
|Size||16.25 x 15.25 x 14.37 inches|
|Take the heat from||Electric pressure cooker|
3. Hamilton Beach Stay or Go Portable Programmable Slow Cooker / 6-Quart
Hamilton Beach flexcook, Stay or Go Portable slow cooker, a popular brand in America for its quality and durability for a century. 6 quart capacity is enough to cook for 7 people.
- The flexcook electric pressure cooker / slow cooker has dual timer. Set the heat and cooking time then select the second heat setting time. The cooker will shift to keep warm mode as soon as the cooking is complete.
- You can also select manual mode or the program mode also. In the program mode just set the heat and cooking time.
- Easy to carry anywhere you wish. The lid is clip sealed and no chance of spilling or leaks, just close the lid and you can carry it.
The dishwasher safe portable slow cooker is easy to maintain and keep clean. It will not take much space in your cabinet to store it.
|Materials used for production||Stainless steel with glass lid / Non-stick insert|
|Size||11.22 x 17.13 x 10.94 inches|
|Take the heat from||Electric programmable slow cooker|
4. MOOSOO Electric Pressure Cooker with Digital Touchscreen
As the name says, you got a multi-cooker with 13 adjustable pressure point and presets. This all in one slow cooker is a gem in the kitchen.
- Just name it and you can cook it. Set perfect temperature or pressure level for accurate taste and flavor. Cook food full of nutrients with natural aromas.
- Slow cook, steam, saute, cake, soup, bean, chicken, egg, rice, stew or multigrain you can cook everything.
- Save time and energy bill with 70% faster cooking than traditional cooking process.
- With 1000W power and a SS304 stainless steel inner side, the slow cooker going to be your weapon in the kitchen.
- The electric pressure cooker with stainless steel insert is easy to operate. One press pressure release, digital LCD display, 24 h delay timers and auto shut down system all justifies the price for the device.
MOOSOO has pioneered in appliances like, shaver for men, air fryer, vacuum cleaner, bread machine etc. A trustworthy brand to buy. Cooking was never a so easier without MOOSOO electric pressure cooker.
|Materials used for production||Stainless steel slow cooker|
|Size||12.56 x 12.56 x 14.37 inches|
|Take the heat from||Electric programmable slow cooker|
5. Breville BPR700BSS Fast Slow Pro Slow Cooker
Versatile use Cooks food 70% faster than usual.
Breville fast slow cooker is good for people who are looking for a multi-purpose pot that can cook a wide variety of dishes without using a gas stove.
- This electric pressure cooker can cook, stew, steam, grill and boil food with a simple push of a button.
- Breville has introduced both fast and slow cooking system in this device. You can use it as a pressure cooker for fast cooking as well as a normal slow cooker.
- Breville Fast Slow Pro Slow Cooker has 11 pressure setting for different cooking recipes. It has dual sensor on top and bottom to ensure perfect temperature and pressure control.
- The pot will cook food through automatic pressure release, cooking up to 70% faster than normal cooking.
- The ceramic pot is good for hygienic cooking. Breville electric pressure cooker has 3 way safety systems.
- Choose your cooking mode easily on the interactive LCD display. You can control steam release, auto pulse and normal mode here.
- The lid is dishwasher safe and easy to assemble.
- A recipe book, a steamer rack and a stainless steel steam basket comes along the slow cooker for convenience.
|Materials used for production||Stainless steel slow cooker|
|size||12.5 x 13.5 x 14 inches|
|Take the heat from||Electricity|
6. Ninja FD401 Foodi 9-in-1 Deluxe XL Pressure Cooker, Broil, Dehydrate, Slow Cook, Air Fryer – 8-Quart
Ninja has been a reputed brand for cooking appliances for a long time. Ninja Foodi Deluxe pressure cooker is a true warrior in the kitchen.
- The 8 quart pot is ready to serve you any recipe you wish to have. You can slow cook, make yogurt, air fry, steam and bake / roast.
- The TenderCrisp technology ensures fast cooking to retain food values and air fry them with perfect golden color.
- You are definitely going to like this large instant pot for its capability of multi-cooking option. Ninja FD401 deserves a place in your kitchen for its performance.
|Materials used for production||Stainless steel / plastic|
|Size||16.1 L x 14.57 W x 14.29 H|
|Take the heat from||Electric slow cooker|
7. BLACK+DECKER 7-Quart Digital Slow Cooker (SCD7007SSD), Precision Sous-Vide cooking
Having a large family? Black Decker 7 quart slow cooker is a good solution for everyday cooking.
- The Black Decker slow cooker is equipped with Temperature Probe. It gives you restaurant quality food every time.
- The Sous Vide Function is another added feature.
- The lock lid ensures safety and you can carry the slow cooker with you for party or small picnic.
- Cooking in this slow cooker is a bit different as you can achieve perfect temperature served to the food by inserting the temperature probe into the food.
- The digital control panel is easy to operate as I have discussed for other slow cooker models. Black Decker SCD7007SSD is a value for money deal.
|Materials used for production||Stainless|
|Size||16.8 x 16.1 x 10.9 inches|
|Take the heat from||Different types of stoves|
8. Elite Gourmet Stainless Steel Slow Cooker
Modern design, easy to use, good heat retention.
It can be called a long-standing reputation for this electric cooker from Elite Gourmet. Modern design and elegant looks, the slow cooker fits into any kitchen.
- 8.5 Quart inner pot ensures stomach full meal for a large family. The inner pot is made of thick ceramic and retains heat well. The outer pot is made of stainless steel, so it can effectively transmit heat to food.
- Temperature setting like high, low or keep warm makes easier to concentrate on other household things.
- Both the inner ceramic pot and the glass lid are dishwasher safe for easy cleaning.
- If you are single or bachelor nothing to worry, just go for Elite Cuisine MST-275XR Electric Slow Cooker. It is just 2 quart capacity and very useful for small amount of food like for one person.
|Materials used for production||Stainless steel /Ceramics / glass|
|Capacity||8.5 quart / 8 liters|
|Size||14.5 x 14.5 x 11 inches|
|Take the heat from||Eectricity|
9. NUWAVE NUTRI-POT 13-Quart DIGITAL PRESSURE COOKER with Sure-Lock Safety System
What is the biggest size crock pot you can buy
Extra large! 13 quart capacity with cutting edge technology, Nuwave Nutri Pot is the Hero of your kitchen.
- Three times faster than traditional cooking. Safety with sure-lock. Cook fish, beans, chicken, soup, and use as a rice cooker. Steam, stew, bake and what not.
- You get delay, sear, warm facilities with 11 preset cooking option. Easy and convenient cooking option like canning your fruits or veggies. Just follow the user manual.
- You are getting glass lid for slow cooking, soup ladle, measuring cup, cooking rack and rice spoon. A cookbook with 200 recipes is also included.
- The durable nonstick pot keeps heat and maintains the quality of food for a long time. Most of the parts of the Nutri Pots are dishwasher safe.
- Slow cooker with delay start / Programmable slow cooker
Do not forget to download the NuWave cooking app. You can find many interesting recipes inside to cook tasty food every day.
|Materials used for production||Stainless steel / non-stick|
|Size||32 x 27.8 x 25.5 cm.|
|Take the heat from||Electricity|
10. Magic Mill 8.5 Quart Slow Cooker Crock Pot / Slow cooker with delay timer
The smart pot can preset work times and save electricity.
Magic Mill programmable slow cooker is a clean device. Easy to use, useful functions and guaranteed tasty food every time.
- You can set delay time up to 20 hours. After cooking is complete it will automatically shift to keep warm mode. Default keep warm mode time is 4 hours.
- You got countdown timer on the digital display to check how much time left to get food cooked. In the meantime you can get ready with your side dish.
- Dishwasher safe glass lid and stoneware are easy to clean.
- The slow cooker is portable, sealed lid is spill proof. Carry anywhere you wish to.
|Materials used for production||Stainless steel / glass lid / stoneware|
|Size||15 x 15 x 12.5 inches|
|Take the heat from||Electricity|
Conclusion : Rice cooker vs slow cooker
If we talk about Rice cooker vs Slow cooker, both of them is necessary for a kitchen.
Do not forget to check Electric Vs Stovetop Pressure Cooker for best pressure cookers review.
Finally, because the casserole / slow cooker is a great culinary assistant for the health conscious, the tender stuffing is also easy to chew and digest. So any home has children or the elderly, it is recommended to look for a good casserole in your home for healthy cooking.