Difference between Rice Cooker and Slow Cooker
In search of electric cookers we always come across two appliances – rice cooker and slow cooker. They may appear similar to some extent, they may work on same principle but they are distinct. We have brought a detailed study on rice cooker versus slow cooker.
- Difference between Rice Cooker and Slow Cooker
- Rice cooker vs slow cooker
- Rice cooker vs slow cooker – What should you buy?
- 10 Best Slow Cooker / Rice Cooker
- 1. Instant Pot Duo Nova 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker
- 2. Programmable Slow Cooker: Crock-pot Pot 8-Quart
- 3. Hamilton Beach Stay or Go Portable Slow Cooker
- 4. MOOSOO Electric Pressure Cooker
- 5. Breville BPR700BSS Fast Slow Pro Slow Cooker
- 6. Ceramic Slow Cooker: Ninja FD401 Foodi
- 7. BLACK+DECKER 7-Quart Digital Slow Cooker (Black and decker slow cooker reviews)
- 8. Elite Gourmet Stainless Steel Slow Cooker (Electric pressure cooker)
- 9. Best Large Capacity Slow Cooker: NUWAVE NUTRI-POT 13-Quart
- 10. Magic Mill 8.5 Quart Slow Cooker Crock Pot / Slow cooker with delay timer
- How to choose a slow cooker
- Conclusion : Rice cooker vs slow cooker
Rice cooker vs slow cooker
Though both rice cooker and slow cooker works on the principle of “set-in and walk away”, they have distinctive features. Difference between rice cooker and slow cooker lies in their modus operandi and the type of heat creation.
If rice cooker is supposed to do boiling and steaming, slow cooker is supposed to do slow and even cooking.
Slow cooker spreads heat evenly for hours and results in perfectly cooked dishes. And rice cooker works fast to create steam for rice and steamed food.
Both rice cooker and slow cooker has their own pros and cons. You need to decide considering your requirement.
Pros and Cons of slow cookers
Advantage of Slow Cookers
- Slow cookers are tension-free cooking appliances. Ina slow cooker, mix the ingredients, set it and leave. In short, slow cooker saves time.
- An usual slow cooker comes with three thermal settings that regulates the intensity of heat. And temperature mostly ranges from 200°F to 300°F. Hence, there is no chance of burning or overcooking of food.
- Most of the slow cookers are capable to cook various types of food. And slow cooking preserves the freshness and flavour of food.
- Slow cookers are available in a variety of sizes. You get it from 1 quart to 8 quart. Now, that means whether you are alone or have a big family, a crock pot is always there for you.
Disadvantage of Slow Cookers
A product can never have zero cons. Amidst advantages slow cooker also have demerits.
- It lies in the name itself. This cooker cook slowly, so much so that it can take 2 hours to as long as 10 hours for cooking. So, if you want quick preparation then slow cooker will be of no help.
- In a slow cooker hydrated vegetables may get soupy even if you don’t want the aforesaid consistency. This is due condensation of the steam that drip in the food.
- Though you can cook most of the dishes in slow cooker, certain recipes are not suitable for crock pots. Recipes that require browning/searing or with large cut meats are some of those.
But if you are cooking meat, obviously it will take more time than rice. And now you can find slow cookers with up to 70 % faster heating. So slow cookers are no longer an extremely slow cooking appliance.
Pros and Cons of Rice cookers
Advantages of a Rice cooker
Rice cookers are not like the supersonics but they are fast, you can say super quick.
- As most of the operation a rice cooker performs, involves boiling and steaming, many models come with programmable boiling and steaming settings. These settings allow cooking all type of grains and steam vegetables or fish. You can also prepare stew and soup in a rice cooker.
- A rice cooker not only cooks perfect fluffy rice but also retains the nutrients.
- Rice cookers are safe as well as easy to use. It automatically switch to warm mode once, it sense the rise in temperature. This saves your food from getting burned and also save energy consumption.
Disadvantage of a rice cooker
Yes, like slow cooker rice cooker have certain demerits.
- Rice cookers are available in various sizes. You will get the one you need but a large one may not fit the kitchen countertop. However, you can set it any other place.
- This cooker is appropriate to cook only cooker based recipes. If you want to cook any other type of dish other than cooker based recipes, rice cooker is not appropriate.
Rice cooker vs slow cooker – What should you buy?
Both rice cookers and slow cookers are designed for the purpose of hassle-free cooking. Both of them are makes cooking easy in kitchen. So it completely depends on what you need in kitchen.
You can choose either one of them or both of them. Because you know your requirement the best. The guide for best rice cooker is already present.
Here it is a discussion on the difference between rice cooker and slow cooker. And I will assist you to choose best electric pressure cooker cum slow cooker.
Here, at Buy for Pantry we would like to make it easier for everyone to know How to choose a slow cooker. Also here is the list of top 10 quality slow cookers for your need and usage.
10 Best Slow Cooker / Rice Cooker
1. Instant Pot Duo Nova 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker
Successor of America’s best selling Instant pot duo series, Duo Nova has received much appreciation from users. If you are a beginner in the kitchen, a student or a bachelor cooking yourself Duo Nova is the one of the best solution.
Instant Pot Duo Nova
Slow cooker with delay start
- Best for beginners
- Smart lid
- More than 10 safety features
- 304 Stainless steel slow cooker
- The 7 in 1 slow cooker. It is a rice cooker, slow cooker, yogurt maker, saute pan, food warmer, steamer and a pressure cooker.
- Available in 3, 6, 8 and 10 quart.
- Cooks 70% faster.
- You can monitor temperature, time, heat and adjust pressure.
- The smart lid get auto sealed. You can release steam by just pushing a button.
- Beginners friendly. The free Android and iOS app has 1000+ recipes to help you.
- Armed with more than 10 safety features and a LED light to indicate cooking process.
- The slow cooker has inbuilt 13 adaptive program for customization and to make it remember the process.
- It is made of 304 food grade stainless steel.
- It is dishwasher safe slow cooker, so cleaning is just a breeze.
- Cords are short in length.
- No steamer basket is provided.
Suggested Read : Electric Vs Stovetop Pressure Cooker
2. Programmable Slow Cooker: Crock-pot Pot 8-Quart
Now cooking for a big family is easy with this edition of Crock pot slow cooker. The cooker can cook for more than 10 people. And if you have a party at home the cooker will be of great help. That is why it is counted among the best.
Rice cooker and slow cooker in one
Programmable Slow Cooker
- Airtight locking lid
- Manual pressure setting
- 8 Quart crock pot
- Designed with sleek stainless steel it is a multi-cooker that cooks for more than 10 people.
- It is an 8 quart electric pressure cooker.
- Has 3 custom settings- manual pressure, simmer and boil.
- Features a delay start timer, keep warm setting.
- Airtight locking lid stay sealed under pressure to ensure safety.
- Steam release dial releases steam safely.
- It is dishwasher safe.
- A steaming rack and a serving spoon and recipe book come along with the slow cooker.
- Short power cord.
- Expanding pots and easy to loose bobber.
3. Hamilton Beach Stay or Go Portable Slow Cooker
Known for its quality and durability for more than a century, Hamilton is a famous brand. Stay or Go Portable slow cooker, is definitely a not to miss product.6 quart capacity is enough to cook for 7 people.
- The flexcook electric pressure cooker / slow cooker has 3 programmable cooking options.
- Has double temperature setting and dual timer for perfect cooking.
- 6 quart slow cooker which is enough for 7 people.
- The clip-tight lid prevents any chance of spilling or leakage. It is safe to carry the vessel.
- It is dishwasher safe.
- Has power interrupt protection that helps to work even in power outrage.
- It counts more on flex cooking.
As the name says, this all in one slow cooker is a gem in the kitchen. It is not only a trustworthy product, the cooker has passed more than 11 safety test. It has received ETL safety certificate. This ensures how good it is.
- Designed with 304 stainless steel it is a 14-in -1 multi-cooker.
- The inner pot is temperature -resistant and durable.
- Has a capacity of 8 quart.
- Save time and energy with 70% faster cooking than traditional cooking process.
- With 1200W power it retains the nutrients of food.
- Has preset time and temperature control with up to 24 h time function.
- Has more than 11 safety measures to ensure safe cooking.
- May have an issue of overheating which can be solved.
Stainless Steel Rice Cooker
8 Quart Slow Cooker
- 11+ safety mechanisms
- 14-in-1 Pressure Cooker
- Reduce Cooking Time by 70%
- Adjustable Time & Temperature
Breville fast slow cooker is good for people who are looking for a multi-purpose pot that can cook a wide variety of dishes without using a gas stove. It is versatile and cooks at a faster rate than slow cooker are supposed to do. That is why it one of the best 6 quart slow cooker.
- This is a both a fast pressure cooker and normal slow cooker with a capacity of 6 liters.
- Has11 pressure setting and a custom setting for different recipes.
- Has dual sensor on top and bottom to ensure perfect temperature and pressure control for ingredients.
- Features 3 way safety system– safety locking lid, hands-free auto steam release and safety valve.
- Conducts up to 70% faster cooking.
- The colour changing interactive LCD display tells about pressurizing, cooking or steam release.
- The lid is dishwasher safe and easy to assemble.
- A recipe book, a steamer rack and a stainless steel steam basket comes along the slow cooker for convenience.
- Doesn’t get hot enough.
- Pressure cooking consumes time.
6. Ceramic Slow Cooker: Ninja FD401 Foodi
Ninja has been a reputed brand for cooking appliances for a long time. It’s appreciation has made it one of the best. Ninja Foodi Deluxe pressure cooker is a true warrior in the kitchen.
- Built with a TenderCrisp Technology it pressure cook food and lock the juices, that makes them crispy golden with air fryer finish.
- It has 9 different preparation functions.
- It is built with a capacity of XL-8 quart, enough to serve a big family.
- The pot has non-stick ceramic coating free from PTFE and PFOA.
- Cooks 70% faster than traditional cooker.
- Features Deluxe Reversible Rack that steam, broils and crisp food.
- Built with 14 safety features.
- It is dishwasher safe.
- Comes with XL-5 quart cook and crisp basket and a recipe book with 45inspiring recipes.
- Consumes excessive power.
- Non-stick coating may get chipped.
Best ceramic coated slow cooker
- Tendercrisp Technology
- Nonstick steam basket
- 9 in 1 pressure cooker
7. BLACK+DECKER 7-Quart Digital Slow Cooker (Black and decker slow cooker reviews)
Having a large family? Black Decker 7 quart slow cooker is a good solution for everyday cooking. It prepares restaurant quality food every time. It is definitely one of the best.
- It is equipped with Temperature Probe that inserts preferred perfection to the cuts of meat.
- The Sous Vide Function eliminates guesswork in the kitchen.
- The built-in lid holder locks the lid to carry the cooker.
- The digital control panel is easy to operate.
- Includes removable stoneware crock, 2 disposable bags and a recipe book.
- A value for money deal.
- The temperature setting may not have precision.
- May overheat sometimes.
Suggested Read: Stainless Steel Pressure Cookers
8. Elite Gourmet Stainless Steel Slow Cooker (Electric pressure cooker)
If you are looking for a slow cooker with modern design and a good heat retention ability, then Elite Gourmet stainless steel slow cooker is the best option for you.
It has a long-standing reputation with modern design and elegant looks that fits into any kitchen.
- Has a 8.5 Quart ceramic inner pot for stomach full meal for a large family.
- Temperature setting like high, low or keep warm makes easier to concentrate on other household things.
- Both the inner ceramic pot and the tempered glass lid are dishwasher safe.
- Has cool-touch handles and knob.
- If you are single or bachelor nothing to worry, just go for Elite Cuisine MST-275XR Electric Slow Cooker. It is just 2 quart capacity and very useful for small amount of food like for one person.
- Rubber feet may come off.
- The pot gets hot.
9. Best Large Capacity Slow Cooker: NUWAVE NUTRI-POT 13-Quart
Extra large. Wow! With 13 quart capacity and cutting edge technology, Nuwave Nutri Pot is the Hero of your kitchen. It is one thing you definitely need for a gathering or for big families.
- Built with Sure-Lock Technology, it has multiple levels of built-in safety features.
- With Delay, Sear, Warm features it has11 preset cooking option.
- Extra large 13 quart capacity crock pot.
- You get glass lid, soup ladle, measuring cup, cooking rack and rice spoon. A cookbook with 200 recipes is also included.
- Consumes 70% less time.
- Retains heat and maintains the quality of food for a long time.
- Most of the parts are dishwasher safe.
- Expensive than is contemporaries.
- Too big for small family.
What is the biggest size crock pot you can buy
Extra large! 13 quart capacity with cutting edge technology, Nuwave Nutri Pot is the Hero of your kitchen.
Do not forget to download the NuWave cooking app. You can find many interesting recipes inside to cook tasty food every day.
10. Magic Mill 8.5 Quart Slow Cooker Crock Pot / Slow cooker with delay timer
Magic Mill slow cooker is an innovative appliances that can preset work times and save electricity. It is programmable slow cooker with user friendly design.
- It has a capacity of 10 quarts perfect for family dinner, house parties.
- You can set delay time up to 20 hours.
- Automatically shifts to Default warm mode that keep food warm for 4 hours.
- The digital display have countdown timer.
- Glass lid and stoneware pot are dishwasher safe.
- The inner pot can also be used on gas stoves.
- This portable slow cookers sealed lid is spill proof. Carry anywhere you wish to.
- Lid rim around glass need some more finish.
How to choose a slow cooker
There are different types of electric pressure cooker / slow cookers to choose from. Each of which has both advantages and disadvantages different from one another. You should also examine the materials used for production to choose a slow cooker that suits our needs the most.
Types of slow cookers
You will find several types of slow cookers; depending on their use and heat source. So let’s take a look at each one of them. This may help you to choose the one you need.
Electric slow cooker / electric pressure cooker
The electric slow cooker heats up quickly. Since they consume electrical energy, they can be used even in rooms without a kitchen. Ideal for both working ladies and housewives, it conducts hassle-free cooking.
You can cook anywhere; you just need a power outlet. Electric slow cooker has temperature regulation settings. Some brands also have food and timer functions and also cooking mode. Just make sure to use similar power outlet as the manual suggests.
Cordless slow cooker
Beside electric version slow cooker also comes in cordless version. Cordless slow cooker comes in two types: a pot for cooking with a conventional gas stove. It works using pressure from heat to stew food.
In this cooker uncooked food is put in a stainless steel pot inside and set fire or on a gas stove or induction. After boiling for a while, the pot is transferred into the machine where the cooking is completed by using the existing heat.
The pot is portable and it retains heat for at least 5 hours. The food remains fresh and nutritious for a long time.
Slow cookers are generally made from Terracotta, Ceramic and Stainless steel. The clay pots are not so popular. But they add an earthy aroma to food and retain heat as well. It has a expensive, fragile and heavy. If you can maintain them, it is a good choice for healthy food. A ceramic or stainless slow cooker is recommended instead.
Suggested Read: Best Air Fryer with Rotisserie
Ceramic slow cooker
A ceramic slow cooker is similar to clay slow cooker. It gets hot quickly. It retains heat very well.
Ceramic slow cookers are easy to clean because the food does not stick to the pan. Available in bright colors it makes the food look even more appetizing.
But, the ceramic casserole has a disadvantage: it is fragile and not scratch-resistant. It also has a rather high price as well.
Stainless steel instant pot / slow cooker
Slow cookers made of stainless steel are resistant to both acids and alkalis.
Stainless steel slow cookers are sturdy and do not get damaged easily. They have got relatively longer service life.
Though stainless steel is known for quick heating, it rarely retains heat. Stainless steel pots are suitable for people who use it frequently.
Stainless steel slow cookers are low maintenance utensils. You do not have to care much for it.
Modern slow cookers come with layered inner and outer shell. It helps in heat retaining. It saves energy.
Capacity of the slow cooker
If you have a big family, you can choose cooking pot more than 5 liters capacity.
For one who stays alone or with a small family, a 2-liter pot is enough.
However, space to store the pot after use is important. Because larger pots require a lot of storage space, they weigh more than smaller ones, and are difficult to clean. Especially if the sink is small.
Conclusion : Rice cooker vs slow cooker
Kitchen appliances have evolved with time and technology. A modern day slow cooker is most of the time multi-cooker. You can cook number of foods in a crock pot / slow cooker. If we talk about Rice cooker vs Slow cooker, both of them are necessary for a kitchen. They are essentials for their unique features.
So it can be rice cooker vs slow cooker or rice cooker and slow cooker.